Filtering When There are Multiple Email Addresses in the To: field

We are looking for a way to filter rules based on messages sent to a specific email in the To: field. There is the option to check the first email in the To: field with email.to[0].address, but that only works if that address is the first email in a potential list of emails. If it’s second or third email, it doesn’t work. I tried to enter mail.to[1].address to string together a series of ‘or’ statements, and so on, but the system wouldn’t allow me to do that.

We’d like the messages filtered anytime the email is sent to a specific email address, regardless of how many other people are on the To: line. The email address we want to filter on is not the final destination mailbox so using email.mailbox doesn’t work in this situation.

What’s the best way to accomplish this? Thanks!

Hey @DonHouk ,

Thanks for posting here.

I would accomplish this by first creating a new rule to create a global variable that contains all of the email addresses, separated by a pipe (or any other character). For example, I would create global.to_addresses and set it to contain all addresses, like:

|joe@acme.com|jane@acme.com|fred@acme.com|

Then, in any subsequent step, you can check to see if global.to_addresses contains the address you care about, surrounded by pipes (example: |jane@acme.com|).

I like to include the pipe in this way to ensure it’s a full and complete match. For example, I don’t want mary-jane@acme.com to match when searching for jane@acme.com. By including the pipes, |mary-jane@acme.com| won’t match if searching for |jane@acme.com|.

Specifically, here are the steps I would create:

First, a new rule with a single action to render all addresses into a single variable:

Notes:

• Double-click custom. to change it to global.
  • The contents of the Text to Render field is |{{implode email.to glue="|" property_name="address"}}| (notice the pipes at the beginning and end, as well is in the “glue” field)

Second, add an expression to the rule you care about:

Notes:

• To get the long free-form entry field, hold SHIFT while clicking the new stanza icon CleanShot 2024-04-18 at 08.57.38@2x)
  • Because this is using a regular expression, you must start and begin the expression with a slash /, and then escape all special characters (pipes and periods) with a double-backslash.
  • Pro-tip: to have MSPintegrations create the escaped regular expression for you, temporarily add any other “contains” stanza and copy the regular expression from the bottom:

Usually, I would create a video to explain something like this, but I’m not able to do that today. Please let me know if this makes sense and if you have any trouble.

Thank you, Travis! This solution worked perfectly.

Awesome! Glad to hear it.